Sunday, June 21, 2009

A Split-Second

“A Split-Second”
(Casual Blogging Series #2 – Sunday, June 21, 2009)

By Deshi Ramadhani, SJ

Remember Naomi, my lovely-black-lady-car? Well, I’ve got a bad news for you. Naomi was hit by a motorcycle. I had switched the left-turn-light on, looked to my left side… clear! I had just made a slight turn to the left when suddenly a motorcycle hit the passenger door from my left side. [Well, I should have known this. Jakarta’s motorcycles are dangerous!]. Still worse, the young man riding it just ran away speeding. Well, at least, it was obvious that he knew he had been guilty. I was so so so angry. [Bad words even came out of my lips. Please don’t tell my Superior].

As I continued driving, my mind immediately began to elaborate a story about the accident. Strangely enough, all I could come up with was a list of that young man’s mistakes. Yet at the same time I knew I was not honest to myself. At last I decided to claim also my own share in the accident. You know what? Just a split-second before the accident I had put down my cell-phone after declining a request for a school Mass. So, yes, the accident took place because I was not completely focused on my driving. I remember I said this to one of my Jesuit brothers. Once I had admitted, “I was distracted by the cell-phone,” I began to feel a deep sense of relief. Peace returned to my heart.

I knew I had learned something precious: as long as I see all the wrong-doings are only somewhere out there, I will never ever gain a true peace within. I was stunned by the fact that I had even been willing to lie to myself about myself. Yes, that’s a sad irony: we are the most dangerous and deadly liars to ourselves. I still wanted to convince myself, “I’m just a victim.” The problem with that statement doesn’t lie on the word “victim,” but on the word “just.” I was in a sense a victim of that reckless motorcyclist, yet I was clearly not just a victim, since I also had my own share in what eventually led to the accident.

I also learned not only to admit that I had been wrong, but more importantly, to own the pain caused by my own mistakes. The beautiful paradox was clear: once I had owned the pain, it immediately disappeared! Just as my mistake took place only in a split-second, so did the healing! But believe it or not, so many people out there prefer to delay [some even until their death!] that split-second of the promised healing. God forgives me. The problem is: I don’t always forgive myself. Bottom line, I still want to be bigger than God. And if this is the case, learning to forgive myself is indeed a very serious business!

3 comments:

me said...

Thank you for your honest sharing,gives one(me)the courage to attempt the same.

cd15.blogspot.com said...

Yes, that's right father ... Sometimes the problem with us that we fail to admit the truth. Perhaps, the truth itself isn't all sweet. I remember something, father; "Reality isn't all sweet. Even the most pleasurable faces of reality aren't all sweet-on the contrary, they often come with an equal dose of agony. Beauty, viewed from too close up, can be as ugly as hell."
God Bless you, Father Deshi ...

SC said...

Rm.Deshi, salam kenal.
Saya suka sekali baca blog romo, benar2 jadi berkat buat saya.
Terutama tulisan ini, menguatkan saya ketika saya sedang merasakan sakitnya proses pembentukan dari Tuhan. Sakit, namun menyembuhkan & memulihkan.. seperti yg romo tulis :
"...once I had owned the pain, it immediately disappeared!"

Terima kasih, Tuhan memberkati! =)