Thursday, February 16, 2012

Inside a Jaguar

"Inside a Jaguar"

By Deshi Ramadhani, SJ
Thursday, February 16, 2012

I was recently invited by a family for a lunch. They had promised to send a car to pick me up. I was so surprised when I saw a brand new Jaguar entering our parking lot. Apparently, they wanted to treat me well. So I got in, and as you can guess, I was stunned by everything inside. I was almost literally frozen, because I was afraid that I would do something that would make a scratch or a scar. Yes, I admit, it did feel so so so good. I felt like being in a completely different world.

Later that day, I had to say Mass in memory of one of our beloved sisters. It was a remembrance Mass, one year after her death. She had been diagnosed with a very rare, aggressive, and deadly cancer. Her death after only several months since the first diagnosis was so painful, although we knew that it was a liberation for her. I know that now she is in another world, completely different from the one I live in. And I know, it must feel so so so good up there.

Both experiences became an invitation for me to see death from a different perspective. If I could enjoy and feel so good only in tasting that "beautiful world" inside that Jaguar, how much more God has in store for us. The bliss of eternity is way more than the short glimpse inside that Jaguar. Although death of a loved one is always painful, I want to believe that in the end, it must feel so so so good for the one moving from among us to be with God.

P.S. Well, it's embarrassing to admit that I wouldn't mind another trip with that Jaguar, a longer one if possible. Oh no, this should not be read as part of the spiritual reflection.

3 comments:

MAV said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MAV said...

Thanks Padre, for sharing that perspective. As someone who just lost a loved one (my mother) over a month ago, and under similar circumstances, I can really relate to seeing death in a liberating fashion. I am equally optimistic to view death as the start of a new beginning, not just for those left behind, but for the ones who have (we hope literally) passed on.

Helvry Sinaga said...

nice reflection father