Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Admire Me!

“Admire Me!”

Lent 2010 – Day 12; Tuesday, March 2.

Deshi Ramadhani, SJ


I grew up in a fashion industry. Not with the big names like Versace or Armani, but just my mother’s garment business. Part of my childhood memory was watching those handsome and pretty models in and out our home. I can even say with pride that as a 10-year old boy I did walk on a catwalk as a model.

Never will I forget the first time I heard hundred of people applaud me. I can still feel the sensation standing at that corner where I stopped, made a gentle spin, put a big smile, and waited for the applause. Deep inside me I shouted: “Admire me!” But now the key word of fashion performance really disturbs me. That word is “fake.”

I’m afraid that the same word exists in my faith life. People might see me good. I might be so, not because I want to be or to do good, but simply to look good. How empty!

No comments: