Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Silence Button

“The Silence Button”

Lent 2010 – Day 20; Thursday, March 11.

Deshi Ramadhani, SJ


For me, the handiest feature of cell-phone is that as a default it tells the user about who the caller is. When a name appears on the screen, and you don’t want to talk, you probably say: “Oh, No!” But for politeness or fear you answer it, making your voice sound as normal as it can be. Or, you can just push the “silence button,” and pretend that nobody is calling. You ignore the caller, but he or she doesn’t feel rejected.

God never forces me. That attitude is simply not God’s. So God would appear like on my cell-phone screen. Every time it rings, and the name appears, I need to make a quick decision. I have to admit, that many times I’ve said “Oh, No!” and pushed the silence button. Before long, it will become spontaneous to push the silence button whenever God tries to reach the deepest recess of my heart.

God comes and I feel disturbed. God acts and I suspect God of a hidden agenda. God is silent and I get angry. If I keep ignoring God, I can be utterly confused.

No comments: